Halloween is here! Time to go spooky. Costume parties and competitions for the best costumes are taking place for this odd and spooky feast. I vividly recall being a little child and enjoying this feast while anticipating trick-or-treating and requesting candies.
When I was a waiter, I used to make spaghetti with Halloween sauce as the day’s special. What’s inside, though? Pumpkins are used to create frightful faces, similar to Halloween. Thus, I utilized it as the major component of the sauce, which also serves as the foundation for the besciamelle sauce; I then added some saffron threads to the sauce to give it a golden color in keeping with the theme.
For this dish, I made compound butter (herb butter) with oregano and basil. It will improve the fried pumpkin’s flavor. Due to its ability to be frozen, this herb butter is useful to have on hand. Since Halloween is ultimately a feast, the spaghetti with Halloween sauce also includes black olives to represent the gloomy side of the holiday.
spaghetti with a sauce for Halloween
- 250g of No. 3 spaghetti
- 2-tablespoon herb butter (unsalted butter with oregano and fresh basil mixed)
- 150g of pumpkin, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- six black olives with pits
- little nutmeg
- Chopped parsley, 1 tablespoon
- toasty pine nuts in a pinch
- grainy Grana Padano shavings
- 200 ml yellow sauce besciamelle (besciamelle sauce with saffron)
SPAGHETTI METHOD WITH HALLOWEEN SAUCE
– Create a roux by combining 100g of unsalted butter with 100g of plain flour to make the Yellow Besciamelle Sauce.
– Next, add the 600 ml of heated skim milk that has been spiced with saffron and a touch of nutmeg.
– After melting the herb butter in a sauté pan, cook the chopped garlic and onions until they are translucent to begin making the Halloween Sauce.
– After that, add the small chopped pumpkin and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
– To the mixture, add the pitted black olives, parsley, and yellow besciamelle sauce. Cook the mixture for a further 8 minutes on low heat.
– The spaghetti ought to have cooked al dente by now. Add the toasted pine nuts and Grana Padano shavings as garnish and combine with the Halloween sauce.
TIP FOR IMPTHATFOOD
– When making besciamelle sauce, attempt to infuse the skimmed milk with an onion that has been studded with whole bay leaves and cloves. It will give your sauce a rich flavor.
– To make the herb butter, remove the butter from the refrigerator and let it soften for about 45 minutes. Then, transfer the butter to a bowl and stir in the oregano and basil. To evenly distribute the added herbs, thoroughly mix. After that, roll it out on a baking sheet or a roll of greaseproof paper, then freeze.